Friday 28 September 2012

My journey into yoga and meditation...

Leaving The Sanctuary

Today is my last day of a 3 day 'retreat' at The Sanctuary at Had Tien beach on Koh Phangan.  At the end of this wonderful 3 month family retreat to our small quiet island, I have managed to create 3 days completely for myself.   I have never taken time solely for myself like this before, but for many years have been attracted to the idea.  My goal:  to carry on with some more yoga, to learn a bit about meditation and take time for reflection. 

Note: it is not an organized retreat in that sense of the word, just a personal one.
The transport in and out of Had Tien

ad Tien is accessible by boat (or a very difficult 4WD track) and The Sanctuary is known for its yoga & meditation, various resident healers, very good vegetarian & seafood restaurant and fasting programs.  I am not fasting, although many people here are - something for next time perhaps.  As I arrived by boat I had a sense of being transported far away, even if it was only 30 minutes or so from where our house is.
My balcony

The whole place is built from the beach up a hill over the rocks and amongst the jungle.  I have a small simple bamboo bungalow with a thatch roof, a comfortable bed, a chair, a mosquito net inside and a hammock outside.  The bathroom has a warm shower and a western style toilet, is accessed over a small bridge and one wall is a large rock.  The accommodation options range from more basic than that, to more comfortable, depending on your preference.
Where the healers reside...

As well as yoga and meditation, I have also had the opportunity to keep an open mind and try some things I have never experienced before, such as a transformative breathing class, and an astrology session.  The astrologer woman was fascinating to see in action, just observing how she can see so much for all the signs of the zodiac just from one map.  And  while I didn't find particular meaning for me right now in her horoscope, I did learn that I need to know my time-of-birth to fix once and for all whether I am a Libra or Scorpio !  Anyone who is interested can ask me about transformative breathing, it was a completely new experience for me and there were clearly some real enthusiasts of this process in the group.
My glorious regular yoga location in Sri Thanu
I came to Thailand hoping to continue my fitness with yoga (my inclination to run was soon overcome by the heat, and various stray barking dogs chasing me) and I have been to a number of classes while we have been here.  Low season has meant that the classes aren't always reliably running and the instructors change regularly, but the upside of this is that it has expanded my experience of styles and techniques.  Some of the teachers would end with a led meditation.  As well as Hatha and Ashtanga, one style taught at the Sanctuary is Yin yoga which I had not come across before.  This emphasizes the length of time spent in each pose, essentially aiming to focus on breathing and to meditate in each pose - so a good opportunity for practicing what I have been learning.  It is still quite hot, so every class feels a bit like what I imagine Bikram yoga to be like, so I have not been tempted by that particular style.  

I hadn't been to yoga for about 3 years after injuring my back, so have been careful in getting back into it.  I have been learning from the different instructors some tips for not doing that again.  However a couple of weeks ago I did re-injure it in the same place in another Ashtanga class - so may need to steer clear of Ashtanga.  Fortunately, regular Lek massages have helped significantly in the recovery. 

When we arrived on this island, I was completely unaware that Koh Phangan is known for its meditation, as there is a very old local temple Wat Khao Tam where the monks have taught meditation for many years.  Because of this, many private centers for yoga and meditation have also grown up in various spots around the island.  At the Wat they now run 10 day retreats where there are many hours of meditation each day with no talking and no technology allowed - definitely for the experienced meditator and not a mere beginner like myself!  I looked into doing something more organized, but didn't find anything that suited the dates I had available.

My interest in meditation stems from wanting to train myself to be more 'present', rather than have my mind constantly running ahead to the next things to be done.  The mental challenge of quieting my mind is as big as I anticipated, but I now have some tools for helping with this.  What I hadn't anticipated was the physical challenge for sitting for long periods of time virtually immobile - although I have learned a little about walking and lying meditation as well.

My first experiences of meditating were with 'our' wonderful massage lady Lek.  She has just built a small house which she uses solely as a place of meditation.  She goes there morning and night and after hearing I was interested to learn, one evening invited me along also.  I followed behind her motorbike in the dark to an area just outside of Thong Sala and she showed me her very small meditation house.  I hadn't realized it would just be us there.  She took me though her preparatory Buddhist rituals and how she meditates and I followed suit, in my own way.  Her gift to me is a mantra which means 'kindness and love from the heart'.  It was a truly meaningful introduction to the practice of meditation and one that will remain with me forever. 

It didn't take too long as a first attempt, and shortly afterward a group of invited friends and her meditation teacher turned up.  It turned into what I would describe as a seated Buddhist prayer meeting, starting with lighting of bunches of incense, which continued to waft through the room for the evening, then continued with beautiful musical chanting, punctuated with intermittent bowing to the shrine set up along one wall.  It was an amazing experience to be a part of, and would have been even more meaningful if I could have understand a single word!  Several days later I was chatting to another (Thai) woman who had been there who told me it was mostly actually in Chinese so she didn't understand a lot of it either !  For me, it eventually became a sort of endurance event for how long I could remain seated on the floor barely shifting and so, after more than one hour, and having observed a few people coming and going, so ascertaining this would be acceptable, I made my own exit.  

A few days later Lek invited Mike, Annabelle and Matthew to come for a visit also.  She showed us around her garden, opened a coconut for a snack, and we all took part in the incense lighting.  She enjoyed teaching the children a little bit of meditation also. and we stayed for just a few minutes of the prayer session, which was all the children could really manage.  

Seeking to understand a little more about meditation than I could access through the language barrier with Lek, I have read a simple but great book called One Step At A Time by Phra Peter Pannapadipo which explains Buddhist meditation, from the very basics and in the context of the Buddhist faith.  He is actually English but has chosen life as a monk (Phra) in Thailand so explains it in an easily understandable way, from an informed Western perspective.  
View down to Had Tien from the top of the hill

At The Sanctuary, I have also had the opportunity to take part in some guided meditation sessions and ask some questions related to my own experiences in a session with an experienced meditator - a lovely intuitive American woman named Tammy.

So from these teachers I have had a chance to learn, and have had some time on my own for practice.  I am not sure I am making great progress, but am enjoying, and persisting with the journey.  I hope I can keep with it when we return.

There are a host of alternative practices on offer.
On occasion I have found myself seeking to find meaning in the phrases uttered, such as:
- breathe through your middle eye
- your hips are the crucible for your organs
- find the part of you that is always there
I am not sure that I was always successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment